Tuesday, March 24, 2015

5 Ways a Mother's Love Trumps All Others

As I write my post today, there is a little baby snoring in my ear and it is the best sound in the world. It is hard to express in words the way that having children has changed me. I'm most comfortable hiding  behind sarcasm and jokes, so transitioning from that into a role of a protective and loving mother has been life-changing. I haven't always been the lovey touchy-feely type, but with them I am...with them I want to be. I want to be the one who comforts them. I want to be the one they feel safe with. I want to be the one they run to in the night if they are scared. With them I want to be better, I want to be different. As I was thinking about the ways that motherhood has changed me, I thought about the way that I love them. I love them in a way that I love no one else. I put up with things from them I would definitely not put up with from anyone else. I decided it would be fun to put together a little list of how my love is different with them than with anyone else, feel free to comment on ways that you notice your love is different with your kids too!


  1. They are child geniuses: When I look at my children, I see the smartest kids on earth. As Easton was getting ready to nap today, he started sucking his thumb. I honestly thought "he is so smart, he knows how to comfort himself by sucking his thumb at the same time every day." Yes, I can imagine your eyes rolling right now, but at the same time I'm sure you have experienced the same type of thoughts with your own children. The most mundane event is suddenly a feat of epic proportions that only your superchild could accomplish.
  2. They are always the most attractive children on earth: My children could be covered from head to toe in snot and dirt, probably in their underwear (lets be honest, you know by now they usually don't wear clothes), and I would only see beauty. Because I'm their mom, when I look at them I don't see their flaws, I see their dad and me (okay, mostly their dad). I see how our love created these two amazing boys. Sometimes, I honestly feel like I am wearing love-colored glasses when I look at them because I know that to me, they will always be the best looking guys in the room.
  3. I will take anything they hand to me, anything: I only wish I could count on one hand the number of times Brayden has handed me his boogers or chewed up food, but it has been too many. I promise you this, I only accept these horrible gifts from my kids. From anyone else, these items would make my gag reflex kick in, but from my kids I can handle it (as long as I can wipe it on my pants). Now that is love.
  4. I forgive them instantly: Last night I told Brayden he could have one cookie after dinner. When I went upstairs to check on him before I went to bed, I found the entire BOX of cookies in bed with him. I was pissed. This morning I talked to him about it and with one sugar covered "I'm so sorry mommy" my anger disappeared. I don't know how these kids do it, but I have the hardest time being mad at them (I'm sure the teenage years will prove otherwise).
  5. They make me want to be better: When I was younger and I made a bad decision, it would only affect me, but with children my decisions affect an entire family. Every choice I make, I try to ensure that it is the right one. I'm constantly aware of the example I am setting for them and I constantly do my best to make sure that they see me as a positive role model who cares for them. My days are completely devoted to these kids, I sure hope they see how much I love them through my words and actions!
Thanks so much for reading, please share the weird ways you show your kids love in the comment section or on my FB page!

Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blog Has MOVED!